Monday, January 30, 2017

20TH CENTURY WOMEN

"Why can't something just be pretty?"--20th Century Women

This evening I saw 20th Century Women at the Yonge & Dundas.  It was a pretty good comedy set in 1979 California, with a fine cast. (Shame that there are so few worthy roles for middle-aged actresses like Annette Bening.) I identified with it somewhat because in my childhood I was known as Jamie, like the son in the movie, and was also born in the early '60s, and my mother, like his mother, gave birth to me in her early 40s.  Really funny scene where one girl insists on talking about menstruation among mixed company!

This afternoon was the latest Classic Book Club event where we talked about Steinbeck's Cannery Row. I also recited the short chapter from The Grapes of Wrath about the turtle crossing the highway.

Yesterday Moira and I had lunch with Puitak and Gordon at the King's Noodle near Spadina & Dundas.  That sort of Chinese food is rather oily for me.

I've been getting thinner, or else my long johns have been stretching.  When I was at the movies the other night those long johns fell down to my knees inside my pants.  It gave me a funny feeling, like I was walking around with my outside pants down and nobody noticing!

I finally cracked Candy Crush Saga's Level 530 after a couple of weeks.  It's one of the hardest levels ever!

We skipped the Sopranos episodes where Dr. Melfi got raped and A.J. and his friends trashed their school, and we should also skip the one where Jackie Jr. is dumb enough to try robbing the big poker game.  And there's a scene at the end of the fourth season's first episode worth skipping!

No comments: