Monday, August 28, 2017

MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME

"Listen then to this ensemble of the steeples; diffuse over it the murmur of half a million people, the everlasting plaint of the river, the boundless breathings of the wind, the grave and distant quartet of the four forests placed upon the hills in the distance like so many vast organs, immersing in them, as in a demitint, all in the central concert that would otherwise be too raucous or too sharp, and then say whether you know of anything in the world more rich, more joyous, more golden, more dazzling than this tumult of bells and chimes, this furnace of music, these ten thousand voices of brass, all singing together in flutes of stone three hundred feet high--than this city which is no longer anything but an orchestra--than this symphony as loud as a tempest"--The Hunchback of Notre Dame

"How do I get in?" "That's easy.  Pick a fight"--Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Friday I saw George Miller's Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome with Dawna (for the second time).  It's all over the place, but cumulatively pretty fun.  It owes a lot to movies like Lawrence of Arabia, and the musical score, also by Maurice Jarre often sounds similar.  I ought to see the Charlize Theron version someday!

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Globetrotters Meetup at the Fox and Firkin near Wellesley Station.  The organizer is an Indian from Delhi, and there were also a Ukranian and a Romanian.  I've done enough travelling for a bit, but I do like talking about foreign countries!

This afternoon was the Classic Book Club Meetup, where we discussed Sons and Lovers. There were six people there, including one who thought she was going to the Reading Out Loud Meetup! But I persuaded her to join us anyway, and she made a good contribution.

I've been looking at some of the women on the Zoosk dating site, but so far there aren't many whose interests overlap with mine:  most of them list few interests, and some show none at all!

I've joined up on Twitter at my sister's urging. (I chose the site name Kermit Higby, after a rival detective who appeared on an episode of The Rockford Files!) My first message was a link to a National Film Board cartoon of the song "Log Driver's Waltz."

No comments: