Friday, August 25, 2017

Photographer's assistant

"If Gringoire had lived in our day, how justly he would have kept to the middle, between the classic and the romantic!...  But he was not primitive enough to live three hundred years, and that's a pity.  His absence leaves a void which, today, is sorely recognized"--The Hunchback of Notre Dame

On the "Let them eat cake" quote: "That's ridiculous!  I would never say that!"--Marie Antoinette

Wednesday I was a photographer's assistant! Midwife was taking photos of Miriam in 1940s clothes and I helped out. (What's the story, Morning Glory?) This was near Midwife's apartment in the downtown YWCA building, and we did it on a rooftop there. I held the reflector to focus light on Miriam's face when the sun was behind the clouds, and moved her hair back with the pointed end of a comb when it got in her face.  It was pretty fun.

Wednesday night I went with Miriam's group and saw Kirsten Dunst in Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette (for the second time) at a Ladies of Burlesque show at the Royal. Marie Antoinette is one of history's big scapegoats!

Yesterday I went with Midwife to a costume warehouse in New Toronto to return those '40s clothes.  She'd ask if I could come in case her daughter couldn't make it and she needed my help.  Her daughter did make it, but I went anyway for the excursion. (We rented a van.)

No comments: