Saturday, August 12, 2017

Zoosk

"She put her hands over him, on his hair, on his shoulders, to feel if the raindrops fell on him.  She loved him dearly.  He, as he lay with his face on the dead pine-leaves, felt extraordinarily quiet.  He did not mind if the raindrops came on him:  he would have lain and got wet through:  he felt as if nothing mattered, as if his living were smeared away into the beyond, near and quite lovable.  This strange, gentle reaching-out to death was new to him"--Sons and Lovers

Yesterday Betty-Anne's art walk returned to Queen Street West. One place we went to was a shop for cocktail paraphernalia!

That night at a midnight showing (well, 23:00 anyway) the Carleton had a special screening of the Godzilla classic Destroy All Monsters in honor of the guy inside the monster suit who just died.  I was thinking of seeing it, but my headache came back and it looked too noisy for me.

On a whim, I joined the dating website Zoosk. (Hope over experience?) For my profile I wrote:

I'm a late bloomer. I love classic books, music, movies and TV. My favourite journey is to London, England.
I like reading, especially history. (Fairy tales and comic books appeal to me, even at my age!) And walking is one of my favourite activities.
I'm politically conscious. There are a lot of things in the world that make me angry. (With Donald Trump, however, I've gone beyond anger...) I believe in justice, though in practice I'm skeptical about realizing it.

For my perfect match I wrote:

I like someone who's a good listener, has a sense of humor, and cares about important things as passionately as I do.

For my perfect date I wrote:

A good first date would be just going out for ice cream or doughnuts. Later, karaoke would be fun! Or a movie: my idea of a good romantic movie is Disney's LADY & THE TRAMP, the John Wayne-Claire Trevor western STAGECOACH or even John LeCarre's THE CONSTANT GARDENER. After that, who knows? =)

The good thing about this site is that you get to choose from a wide range of available interests to add to your profile:  people, books, movies, TV shows, sports and such.  And also observe other people's profiles:  I don't think I can date a woman whose interests include the stupid, shameless movie Life Is Beautiful...

No comments: