Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Enough on my plate?

"Spring was the worst time.  He was changeable, intense and cruel.  So he decided to stay away from her.  Then came the hours when he knew Miriam was expecting him. His mother watched him growing restless. He could not go on with his work.  He could do nothing.  It was as if something were drawing his soul out towards Willey Farm. Then he put on his hat and went, saying nothing.  And his mother knew he was gone. And as soon as he was on the way he sighed with relief.  And when he was with her he was cruel again"--Sons and Lovers

Yesterday, through some bureaucratic SNAFU, the room at Lillian Smith library where the memoir group usually meets was taken for some conference.  They did let us meet in the reading area, but we only did one topic since we couldn't talk too loud. Since next week is a holiday, I brought home the can of subject cards to remove superfluous items and maybe add some more of my own.

After two weeks, I'm halfway through Sons and Lovers.  When I'm finished that, I'll have to read The Prince for my History Meetup and The Hunchback of Notre Dame for John's book club. I'm way behind in Lapham's Quarterly.

And there are all those Ebooks that I've started reading.  I just finished a history of the California gold rush the other day.  But I've also started a biography of Walt Disney, a history of the Versailles palace, a history of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain, and The Boo, Pat Conroy's biography of the fatherly assistant commander at the Citadel military school. (I liked My Losing Season, his memoir of playing basketball at the Citadel.)

In addition to all that, today I went to the Gladstone library and borrowed Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little Town on the Prairie. (Just because I felt like reading it again!)

Someone said I don't like people, which may be true to some extent. (Linus Van Pelt: "I love mankind--it's people I can't stand!") He mentioned that I rarely talk about people in this blog, but part of the reason is that I worry about what people may think if they read about themselves here.  Which is why he shall go nameless!

No comments: