Thursday, September 21, 2017

D'OH!

Des Grieux on Manon being sent to the Hopital jailhouse: "It was not that she was treated barbarously; but she was kept in close confinement, alone, and condemned to complete each day a particular task, the necessary condition for her securing a portion of disgusting food"--Manon Lescaut (Forced to work for a living--poor baby!)

Last night was the first rehearsal for the new Toronto City Opera season.  We'll be doing Beethoven's Fidelio and Mozart's The Magic Flute. (We were going to do the Canadian opera Transit of Venus instead of The Magic Flute, but plans got changed.) This year the chorus will be unusually big.  We'll be doing Fidelio in its original German, a language I don't recall we've ever done before:  pray for us.

I wasn't there, however. (I know of the chorus size because it was mentioned on a TOR-related webpage.) So why did I miss it? Because I completely forgot about it!  I guess John Snow's right -- I do have too many activities.

We've started watching the legal drama Damages on DVD from the library. (We're interested in it because it's created by the same people as Bloodline.)

Saw Blurred Lines at the Bloor. It's a documentary about the modern art scene and how it's been distorted by millionaires paying huge sums at the big auctions. (As far as I'm concerned, you can have Damien Hirst and Jeff Koons.)

No comments: