Saturday, September 16, 2017

Nightmare!


"That human resolutions should be subject to change is not something that has ever surprised me:  being born of a particular passion, they may be destroyed by another; but when I think of the sanctity of the resolutions that had brought me to Saint-Sulpice, and of the inner joy Heaven granted me so long as I continued to carry them out, I tremble at the ease with which I was able to break them"--Manon Lescaut (Something Catholic about that!)

Flip Wilson as Adam: "It wasn't the apple in the tree, it was the tomato on the ground!"--Laugh-In

Last night I had a nightmare. That doesn't happen often, but I was tardy refilling my Cipralex prescription and that tends to cause vivid dreams. (The night before I had a dream involving Liv Tyler and Colin Firth in a movie about invaders destroying London landmarks, with me an actor playing Firth[?] and improvising lines about how depressed I was being in such a stupid movie.) 

In my nightmare I was in the movie I Want to Live! the one where Susan Hayward ends up in the gas chamber, which I actually haven't seen. (A glamorous-looking death row prisoner, isn't she?  If you ask me, a movie with an exclamation mark in the title is trying too hard.) In the dream I wasn't a character in the movie, but an audience-like observer who knew what was going to happen and wanted to get out before seeing it.  Sort of like when Wile E. Coyote went off a cliff and got them to end the cartoon before he reached the ground.

This afternoon I saw a couple of episodes of Laugh-In with Dawna.  Yes, it is pretty dated. (The funniest bit was Tommy Smothers introducing Rowan and Martin and struggling to pronounce their names!)

I've started reading Abbe Prevost's Manon Lescaut for John Snow's book club and J.L. Granatstein's The Last Good War, about Canada in World War II, for the History Meetup.

Last time I forgot to mention that at this week's memoir group, there was a rare subject that I couldn't think of anything to write about:  sports cars.

No comments: