Friday, May 18, 2018

The best-laid schemes...

Napoleon: "Wellington, Wellington, Wellington, Wellington!"--Waterloo

In a few weeks, when it's just a bit warmer, Father will be moving into our sun room out back.  We have a sofa bed out there, but I didn't like the idea of him sleeping in a sofa bed every night. (It seemed cheap to me.) We have a futon bed in the attic, so I decided to take it downstairs and put that in the sun room.

Of course, I couldn't get it all the way down and it got stuck in the small stairwell.  John's coming over tomorrow and he'll help move it back.  Father really doesn't mind sleeping in the sofa bed permanently, so I guess I can accept it.

Last night I saw Sergei Bondarchuk's Waterloo again, this time with the History Meetup.  The history book about Portugal is fascinating:  I wasn't aware of the tensions that accompanied the 18th-century alliance with Britain. (The Brazilian gold boom largely ended up in British hands, financing Portugal's trade deficit, and helped launch Britain's industrial revolution!)

Yesterday Moira and I went to the garden store next to Fiesta Farms and bought the seeds and plants for this year's garden. (It'll be ready for planting in just a day or two, in time for Victoria Day.)

Today I mowed our lawn for the first time this year.  I also bought some ice and brought our ice-crushing machine. 

I also went to the St. Paul's NDP campaign headquarters, just south of the St. Clair station, to do some volunteer work. (I photocopied a sheet with a notice written three times on it, then sliced them into 300 notices.)

No comments: