Thursday, January 24, 2019

Crisis

My father went to the hospital yesterday for pneumonia treatment.  But he should be back in a few days.

Sunday I went to a Singing Meetup at the Carlaw Centre.  I just missed the St. Clair streetcar, then I just missed the College streetcar, and I was almost half an hour late! (And it was brass monkey weather too.) But I liked the new group.  We were singing "When I Fall in Love," "Singing in the Rain" and "Move It on Over." Afterward the streetcar wasn't working so I waited twenty more minutes in the deep cold before going north to catch the Pape bus.

Later that Sunday was my Reading Out Loud Meetup. The topic was religious writing, so I titled the event "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition!" There was another Korean woman there, but she's new to Canada and her English isn't so good, so I encouraged her to recite poems like "If No One Ever Marries Me" (I had to explain what "shan't" meant) and "The Village Blacksmith." That's a good way to improve your spoken language.

Monday night I saw Around India With a Movie Camera at the Bloor.  That's a documentary with film footage of British India in the early 20th century, including footage of Mahatma Gandhi.

Some of the Decameron stories are rather cruel comedy.  There's one where Bruno and Buffalmacco make the sap Calandrino think he's found a gem that makes him invisible, and he ends up giving his wife a beating. (That's funny?)

No comments: