Sunday, January 06, 2019

History Meetup

"I want you to be happy, but I don't want you to be happy for me, because I'm not... happy"--Fantastic Beasts:  The Crimes of Grindelwald

Wednesday night's History Meetup was a big success! Fourteen people showed up despite the cold weather. Walid served as moderator, preventing people from talking too long, which was a big help.

The subject was Celtic civilization, and in addition to the main book, Blood of the Celts, I'd also glanced at The Discovery of Middle Earth, about the Celt's geographical sophistication that led to siting their towns and settlements along north-south meridians and other straight lines.  And I brought one of my French comic books about Asterix the Gaul, and there was a Korean girl there called Hongmin who's also a fan of them! (She's very friendly.)

Thursday night I saw Peter Bogdanovich's Buster Keaton documentary The Great Buster:  A Celebration at the Bloor.  I haven't been there in a while--I still haven't used up my free popcorn coupons.  But they're showing some "Best of 2018" features this month so I expect I'll be there again.

Tonight I saw the Fantastic Beasts sequel The Crimes of Grindelwald at Canada Square.  Mildly entertaining. (As the title villain, Johnny Depp reminded me of Johnny Rotten!)

Just saw Nami's backstory on One Piece. Oda Eyichiro isn't a good storyteller, he's a great storyteller!

No comments: