Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Busy weekend

Saturday afternoon was another opera rehearsal.  First we had a makeup tutorial:  we're going to have our faces coloured below a diagonal line--sort of a Phantom of the Opera mask in reverse.  And I also had a costume fitting, and will be wearing a royal blue shirt with my black pants.

Yesterday afternoon the singing group did some Irish songs for St. Patrick's day, including "Cockles and Mussels" and "Black Velvet Band." We also sang "The Ash Grove," which I'd suggested.

The Reading Out Loud event was complicated by Dora Keogh having a big music day.  What with the noise and a $10 cover charge, I had to move the location to Timothy's World Coffee again.  Anyway, there was only one other person who had the quietest voice you ever heard, not so suitable for reading aloud.  A couple of other people would have shown up, but there was another schedule irregularity so they came an hour too early--I can't help wondering if there's something wrong with the meetup.com software!

I think I may have to quit the Reading Out Loud Meetup--for month after month there's been almost nobody showing up! (Maybe someone else will dare to take on its organization...)

Tonight was the Classic Book Club Meetup, jointly with the Celtic Culture Meetup, discussing A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.  A couple of people found the book too difficult for them.

That book of Mexican history is fascinating!  Several times on the subway I've missed my stop because of reading it.

On Duolingo I was recently learning Korean words for animals.  I've been making a glossary of all the Korean words I come across, with a lot of different categories for them:  just now I have Numbers, Courtesy, Relations, House, Time, Weather, Space, City, Country, Culture & learning, Business, Food, Work, Pastimes, Body, Nature and Abstracts. (My only abstract word so far is 의미--uimi--which means "meaning.")

No comments: