Tuesday, March 26, 2019

UNCLE TOM'S CABIN

"It's a free country, sir; the man's mine, and I do what I please with him--that's it!"--Uncle Tom's Cabin

I finished the history of Mexico, borrowed Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin from Spadina Rd. library Saturday and started reading it for the second time. The Dickensian influence is pretty clear.

The singing group yesterday was doing "By the Light of the Silvery Moon," "Don't Let the Music Stop" (they changed "I hear America singing" to I hear Canada singing"), and a piece that combined "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," "O When the Saints Come Marching in," and "I Wanna Sing, Sing, Sing."

We're putting on La Traviata, and the rehearsals are getting hectic! (I missed last Wednesday's rehearsal because I couldn't find the place--I knew it was on Geary St. but not the number.)

We're now rehearsing at the Al Green Theatre, where we now put on performances.  Tonight we wore our costumes for the first time. (I think I'll bring my bow tie to go with the royal blue shirt!)

I've finally given up on the Reading Out Loud Meetup. (Too many months with hardly anyone turning up!) But I hope someone else is brave enough to replace me as organizer...

I've returned to the Elvenar computer game, and I'm now building cities in two worlds--one human and one elvin.

No comments: