Friday, March 01, 2019

A few of my favourite comic strip characters

I thought I'd describe my favourite respective character in some of the comic strips I follow regularly on The Comics Kingdom and GoComics.

Funky Winkerbean:  Bull Bushka.  Back when the main characters were high school students, Bull was a jock and at first a bully.  Now he's just retired as athletics coach and dealing with CTE from the football blows he'd taken to the head. (The strip can be rather downbeat...) I like the way that even the more mature Bull still had a rather intimidating way!

Mary Worth:  Ian Cameron.  Mary's academic neighbor with a skipper's beard, given to bloviating!

Luann:  Gunther.  A platonic friend (so far) of the adolescent title character, he's an earnest dweeb that I identify with personally.

Gil Thorp:  Marty Moon.  In this strip about a high school athletics coach, the bane of Gil's existence is jerky sportscaster Marty.  Right now there's a storyline where young jerk Robby was getting attention by coming on Marty's show and putting Gil down. But Gil's wife Mimi told Marty that Robby's really after Marty's job, so Marty's tricked Robby into revealing his contempt for the town without realizing they're on air...

Among the "vintage" comics I follow:

Heart of Juliet Jones:  Eve Jones.  Julie's passionate younger sister got more erratic  and forlorn as the strip progressed.

Mandrake the Magician:  Lothar. (Every character in this strip had a single name.) His pidgin talk wouldn't be PC today, but I like how whenever Mandrake's brains weren't enough, Lothar would put his fist in!  His catchphrase was "Me smash!"

The Wizard of Id:  The Spook. He's the prisoner in Id's dungeon, always trying to escape.  Do I see deep existential meaning in this character?  No, I've always liked his name!

At tonight's La Traviata rehearsal, when we were dancing in the festive opening scene I tried to do a dance like with Ichabod Crane where one part of his body started moving and it spread to the rest of him!  The catch is that it gets tiring pretty quickly. (Makes you appreciate dance pros--they get tired too, but not nearly as soon.)

The other night I saw a History Channel documentary about the French Revolution on Youtube.  Too bad there was nothing about Mirabeau or Sieyes.

I finally broke Level 1919 in Candy Crush Saga!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

White is always right, right? Even if they are fucking corrupt and misused campaign funds to hide an affair with their fucking mistresses




https://twitter.com/KermitHigby/status/1105976700796575745



https://www.cnn.com/2012/05/23/justice/north-carolina-edwards-charges/