Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Will wonders never cease?

"From this time, an inviolable sphere of peace encompassed the lowly heart of the oppressed one--an ever-present Saviour hallowed it as a temple.  Past now the bleeding of earthly regrets; past its fluctuations of hope, and fear, and desire; the human will, bent, and bleeding, and struggling long, was now entirely merged in the Divine.  So short now seemed the remaining voyage of life--so near, so vivid, seemed eternal blessedness--that life's uttermost woes fell from him unharming"--Uncle Tom's Cabin

One comic strip I usually hate is The Family Circus, but the other day Jeffy Keane did an episode I actually liked! (Actually, there was one I liked from decades ago when one of the kids sees an obese guy and asks, "Is that man going to have a baby?")
These days we don't usually see this level of realism in any comic strip, let alone that one! (I especially like the boy imagining his girl in a nun's veil, with his dog commiserating as best he can.)

I've been learning some interesting Korean words on Duolingo.  Their word for a briefcase literally means "007 pack"! (I guess they've shown James Bond movies in Korea.) The other day I was learning words related to the human body, and their word for palm means "hand-floor"! (Sounds a bit like German words...) I've been putting colours in their own category in my word list, but when I learned the words for the senses I gave them their own category and added visual stuff like those colours.

At Sunday's singing group, we were doing "Love Potion Number Nine" and the round "Rose, rose, will I never see thee red?"

I've almost finished Uncle Tom's Cabin.  In the last part, with Simon Legree, it turns into a passion play.  (When Uncle Tom refused to murder Legree, I wanted to say, "Don't be a pussy!  It's Nat Turner time!")

The other night I had a nightmare where I was back in school, and I was way behind because I'd been absent quite a while, and I was afraid to go back because catching up would be such a huge task!

No comments: