Sunday, April 14, 2019

Writing in Korean

“'Take care,' he said, 'take care how you cut yourself. It is more dangerous than you think in this country.' Then seizing the shaving glass, he went on: 'And this is the wretched thing that has done the mischief. It is a foul bauble of man’s vanity. Away with it!' and opening the heavy window with one wrench of his terrible hand, he flung out the glass, which was shattered into a thousand pieces on the stones of the courtyard far below"--Dracula

I'm now going to a new reading group at St. Lawrence Market library.  We're reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, a chapter or two at a time.  We take turns reading it aloud. (The others like my Dracula voice.) It should take about five months to finish.

I've finished Uncle Tom's Cabin and started Neil Oliver's Vikings for the History Meetup. (It was published to accompany his BBC documentary series, which I think I saw some of when I was in London seven years ago.)

I also borrowed J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy from the library.  It's a memoir about growing up in the Appalachians and a discussion of the region's continuing problems.  Some people say it's unfair, but I want to decide for myself.

Today I wrote Hongmin an email in Korean!  Writing in a new language is a humbling experience--you may not feel sure you're doing it right, even when you are!  It was slow work, because I had to keep switching between English and Korean keyboard inputs. (English for looking up words, Korean for writing.) I've been correcting all her little mistakes in English--with her encouragement!--and now she'll be doing the same for me.

No comments: