Friday, December 14, 2012

Classical music Meetup

Another of my Meetup groups is Toronto Friends of Classical Music.  Mary, the organizer, gave me the designation "Attendee extraordinaire" because I've been a member for years, going back to when she took over.

Tonight we had an event at the Mad Bean coffee house on Eglinton Avenue West, hosted by assistant organizer John D.  The subject was Beethoven, whose 242nd birthday is this Sunday.  He played for us his CDs of the Egmont Overture, the second and fourth movements of the Seventh Symphony and part of a late string quartet. (He brought new high-quality speakers.)  He also played a CD someone else brought of Glenn Gould playing the Pathetique Sonata.  But nobody else brought music to play.

I'm running short again.  I'm still not over that cold.  I've been playing that jigsaw puzzle app a lot.  We've been eating stew the last two days, and I wish there'd been more potatoes.  I still haven't finished writing out the TOR lines I'll have to have memorized soon.  I've been watching a DVD of French and German avant-garde silent movies from the 1920s and '30s, but I have a feeling I won't understand any of them.  Now I read that they didn't prosecute HSBC for money-laundering because they're afraid they'd bring down the whole financial system--maybe the financial system will collapse anyway!

No comments: