Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Geeks like me

Today I had lunch with my Aspergers Meetup group at Spring Rolls just south of Yonge & Bloor.  Tiffany, who lives in Hamilton, was in Toronto so she had an event.  The others visited Allen Gardens first, but Bev and I weren't up to that and met up with them at the restaurant.  Too bad it wasn't a day earlier when the weather was far milder.

The food is pretty good there:  I ate Malaysian spicy chicken fried rice.  At these events I tend to talk to Bev more than anyone else:  we're the two oldest people in the group.  She's twice as passionate about Bradley Manning as I am. (We've been talking a lot about that case at THE HUFFINGTON POST the last few days.  I wrote of the bit in SERPICO where Al Pacino's girlfriend told the story of a king who was the only one in the kingdom who didn't drink from a well that made people crazy, so they thought he was the crazy one instead, until he drank too and they decided he'd come to his senses.)

In the evening I went to another Aspie event at the Geneva Centre.  I used to go to an Aspergers support group there because I wanted to meet people, but then I decided I could do it through other means like Meetup.

Anyhow, this event involves a psychologist called Jonathan Weiss who got a research grant and wants to work with us Aspies on things like "mindfulness." We'll see how that works out.  I've worked with a psychologist before:  Liljana Vuketic interviewed me in researching her doctoral dissertation, and paid me $200 which I promptly squandered on books.  BTW, they've now stopped calling it Aspergers and just call it high-functioning autistic spectrum disorder, or something like that.

1 comment:

Bev said...

You are a dear friend, James. It was a great day-long get together with our fellow Aspies.