Sunday, December 09, 2012

"In the beginning..."

Today was ROLT's December event.  I chose children's writing as the theme and called it "In the beginning..." Almost a dozen people said they were coming, but only five showed up. (My sister Moira came for the first time, and enjoyed it.)

Unfortunately, I've had a cold for the last few days so I couldn't read as much as I intended.  I did manage to do Humpty Dumpty's poem from THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS. (Its last line is "I tried to turn the handle, but--") Coincidentally, Jane read a couple of other Lewis Carroll poems:  "Jabberwocky" and "The Walrus and the Carpenter.")

There was a new member called Sebastian, who's an East Indian from Fiji.  He read us a fine story he'd written himself, about a Fiji family with a small sugar cane farm and two bullocks, and even handed out copies!  For next month I think we'll do Canadian writing.

Running short again!  This reminds me of some thirty years ago when I was briefly living in England, where there was a TV critic with a weekly column in one of the Sunday newspapers.  There was also a mediocre cop show called BERGERAC.  One Sunday, at the end of his column, this critic wrote: "If I had more space I'd write about BERGERAC.  I've been meaning to do that one of these weeks." (Ouch!)

No comments: