Thursday, November 06, 2014

EUROPA '51

"I'd rather be lost with them than be saved by myself"--Europa '51

The other day when I went to 2Q Video the last Borgen disc was out, so I rented Roberto Rossellini's Europa '51 and saw it tonight (for the second time). It's a moving story about a rich woman who reacts to her son's death by reaching out to the wretched and achieving a kind of sainthood.  Ingrid Bergman (then Mrs. Rossellini) gives a great performance:  I actually looked at her in a new way, something that isn't easy for movie stars.

Tuesday night at the opera we learned the small chorus part for Don Giovanni.  Beatrice had us dancing on the stage, and I did some Arthur Murray turns that really impressed her.  On the way there I slid down a slope in the rain like McNulty in a certain scene in The Wire, and got mud on my stuff. (I would have taken the steps, but they were closed off for repairs and the alternative was a pretty long detour.

Today I went to the Staples at St. Clair & Keele to find a portfolio big enough to hold my works of art without folding them.  It's going to close soon, and the place looked pretty empty.  The thing I bought turned out not to be quite big enough, so I'll try the stores that specialize in art supplies.

I made a reservation for twelve people for Sunday's ROLT event, but thirty people say they're coming!  We'll see how many actually show up, of course.

In that Tribez game on Facebook, I'm close to building the last stage of the observatory, which may open a lot of new quests in all the islands (or may not). It's something I've been working toward for quite a while!

No comments: