Wednesday, November 26, 2014

MOBY-DICK

"No town-bred dandy will compare with a country-bred one--I mean a downright bumpkin dandy--a fellow that in the dog-days, will mow his two acres in buckskin gloves for fear of tanning his hands"--Moby-Dick

The other day I finished Lapham's Quarterly and started reading Herman Melville's Moby-Dick (for the second time). Melville creates a whole world, witty and a bit crazy.

Sunday I went to the Aspie Meetup at a house north of Eglinton and Kipling.  I also brought the cookies from Friday's fundraiser.  I only stayed for an hour or two because I didn't know most of the people.  Getting there was a bit of an adventure:  I took the subway to Kipling station then the bus north, and I went back by the Eglinton bus for variety. (Last night I brought the cookies to choir practice and most of them got finished.)

Yesterday was so mild that I took out my spring jacket for just a day.  But it was so windy I had to hold my hat in my hand to keep it from being blown away.  The temperature's now back to normal cold.

Tonight was the last opera rehearsal before Christmas break.  I already have much of the music memorized.  We've now started blocking the first half of Ballo.

No comments: