Saturday, December 20, 2014

CAPTAINS AND THE KINGS

"Before you take off all my clothes, I have one thing to ask." "Yes?" "Take off yours"--sizzling romantic dialogue in Captains and the Kings

Monday night I went to a Mathematics Meetup at the Rubikloud Industries office near King station.  We talked about group theory, which I recall studying at college thirty years ago.  I won't be able to attend often, since it's on the same night as choir practice, but it's an interesting group.

Thursday night I went to see a documentary at the Bloor about people staying in Antarctica through the winter (our summer), with the Movie Meetup group.  I was careless enough to get popcorn, and got sick. (When I upgraded my Bloor membership to the silver level, they threw in about nine free popcorns.)

Thursday after seeing Dr. Hassan I went to North York Centre library and borrowed the DVD of Captains and the Kings, a 1976 miniseries that was part of NBC's Best Sellers, a spectacularly unsuccessful attempt to repeat the success of Rich Man, Poor Man.  As a young Irish immigrant becoming a big robber baron in the Civil War era, Richard Jordan is a remarkably colourless lead, though Charles Durning has some life. (Durning could have used a better agent:  he was always making movies like The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas!)

1 comment:

John S. said...

My goodness, James, you are everywhere and doing everything! What is the name of your choir, and do you give public concerts?