Monday, December 29, 2014

MR. TURNER

"When I peruse the mirror, I see a gargoyle"--Mr. Turner

I found the Kevin Brownlow documentary Hollywood on Youtube, about silent movies in America.  I'm now watching it for the third time.

Yesterday I had lunch with the Aspergers Meetup. (Evie organized it.) We went to the Old Spaghetti Factory, where I had spaghetti with the spicy meat sauce.  They have nice hot bread rolls.

Then I went to the Lightbox to see Mike Leigh's Mr. Turner.  I was supposed to see it with a Movie Meetup group, but couldn't find them.  It turned out that they were meeting in the Member's Lounge, and I'm not even a member!

The movie was vivid but a bit too long.  Timothy Spall's Turner was something of a beast. (He seemed to have Asperger's Syndrome.) They were talking about Turner in the National Gallery documentary I saw the other day.  Of course, he anticipated the French impressionists.

Dinner was Kentucky Fried Chicken.  They're trying to encourage feedback through a sweepstakes whose grand prize is a year of Free KFC!  Years ago Moira knew somebody who lived on KFC for a whole year.

No comments: