Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Impunctuality

"'I want no man on this ship,' said Starbuck, 'who is not afraid of a whale'"--Moby-Dick

These days I'm not quite as punctual as I used to be.

Saturday I was on time for the opera, at least.  I saw the latest Met production of Carmen, which was rather unsubtle, especially their handling of Zuniga. (At the end of the second act Carmen pours spirits on his head and a Gypsy is about to set him on fire as the curtain comes down.  His face is scarred when he reappears in the fourth act.)

Sunday afternoon the choir performed at a hymn sing at the United Church north of Eglinton & Bathurst.  I was late for the warmup because I couldn't find my necktie, which finally turned up under the desk.  (I would have been a bit less late if I'd waited for the bus at Eglinton West station instead of walking east to Bathurst Street, but I didn't know how long I'd have to wait.) There was also a Korean church choir singing a medley of Christmas carols in their own language.

Yesterday afternoon I was late for the memoir slam, but with a good excuse:  I stopped at Scotiabank to make an appointment with Jessica to talk about segregated funds, and had to wait a bit.  Anyway, the first subject was birthdays and I'd covered that subject when we did February.

No comments: