Friday, January 09, 2015

Book hunt

Wednesday I was making the library rounds looking for books for Sunday's ROLT.  We had Jack London's The Call of the Wild at home, but it was a shorter version that didn't have the part I wanted. And we seemed to have two copies of L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle, but it turned out that both were sold.

I found Pauline Johnson's Flint and Feather at Deer Park, Mazo de la Roche's Young Renny at Forest Hill, and The Blue Castle at Lillian Smith.  But The Call of the Wild was harder:  I finally found it yesterday at Spadina Road when I figured out that it was in the juvenile fiction section instead of regular fiction!

Wednesday night I went to the Bickford Centre to help them set up the opera set.  But they had enough people already and I ended up standing around a lot, and left early.  On the way home the spine cover came off our copy of Hard Times, and Father put it back on the next day.  I thought we could just tape it on, but he glued it so I had to stop reading it for a while as the glue dried.

Last night I had a bout of insomnia and didn't get to sleep till past 4:00! (At such times I end up thinking about everything that makes me angry.) I didn't wake up till around 2:00 in the afternoon.  But on one of my Facebook groups a fellow Aspie said that he had a fit and ended up wandering around in the cold, which puts my problems in perspective.

That translated manga is terrific!  It combines a history of Japan in the 1920s and '30s with the author's personal story. (He was born in the early '20s.)

No comments: