Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Classic Book Club

"But, according to the success with which you put this and that together, you get a woman and a fish apart, or a Mermaid in combination.  And Mr. Inspector could turn out nothing better than a Mermaid, which no judge and jury would believe in"--Our Mutual Friend

Yesterday afternoon the Classic Book Club Meetup met and discussed Moby-Dick.  Some twenty people had said they were coming, but I made the reservation for just eight, and that was the exact number that showed up!  I had to raise membership dues (for this and ROLT) from five to seven dollars because Meetup has raised their fees.  I suggested that after Our Mutual Friend we do The Yearling and (after Jane's input) Vanity Fair, and they seemed happy with that.

Afterward I went to see some silent comedy shorts at the Revue.  They had Charlie Chaplin's The Immigrant (the one with the huge waiter), an early Mabel Normand, one with Gloria Swanson and Wallace Beery, and one with Charley Chase.

Tonight I went to choir practice, but only when I got there did I realize that there was no rehearsal this week. (D'OH!) Oh well, I like the routine of leaving the house on Mondays.

I found the classic Laurel & Hardy short Dirty Work on Youtube!  That's the one where they're chimney sweeps in a mad scientist's house. (The butler looks at them and mutters, "Somewhere an electric chair is waiting!" Don't think he likes them.) I also found the episode of The Cisco Kid that was given the What's Up, Tiger Lily? treatment on an episode of SCTV, but not the introduction where Edith Prickley says: "You like reruns?  Good!"

No comments: