Sunday, January 04, 2015

INTO THE WOODS

"I've made my decision, which is not to decide"--Into the Woods

I finished Moby-Dick on New Year's Night.  The same night I was reading a Salon article about American decline which reminded me of Starbuck's famous line "Ahab beware of Ahab." Uncle Sam beware of Uncle Sam.

Now I've started reading Dickens' Hard Times for John Snow's book club. (Jane couldn't get into it.) It occurred to me that the "hard times" the title refers to are modern times.

This evening I went to see a movie with the Movie Meetup group. (I was glad to meet Jane, who's suggested Vanity Fair for my Classic Book Club.) We saw Rob Marshall's movie of Into the Woods, Stephen Sondheim's curious musical fairy-tale pastiche with an oddly apocalyptic final act.  It was moderately entertaining, though none of the cast really stood out as singers.  The pacing was brisk enough:  I had to go to the washroom a couple of times, and I'm not sure how much I missed.  Reading Hard Times on the way home, I started to imagine how to adapt it into a musical!

I've finally quit the Facebook games Tribez and Megapolis.  And I'm also finished my latest bouts with Candy Crush Saga and Pet Rescue Saga.  Now I've started two new games:  Tribez & Castlez and Transport Empire.  How long before I lose interest in them?

No comments: