Saturday, January 24, 2015

Toting time

Today I brought in my computer for examination at the Apple store in Yorkdale Mall.  It fit into my art portfolio, lined with a quilt, but was quite a bale to tote.  (I kept putting it down for a rest.  At times like these, I don't feel so bad about being unemployed.) Maybe we should have put it in a suitcase with wheels.

It turned out that the problem is with the hardware, and involves some parts that they no longer make!  I can still look for a repairman--I'd like to save my translation files--but it's over six years old and we'll have to get a new one pretty soon.  When I got home I felt like going back to bed!

Wednesday night we started blocking Don Giovanni at the opera.  The chorus has a small singing role but we have a lot of non-singing stuff to do.

Thursday night I saw Peter Jackson's third Hobbit movie, the one about the battle of the five armies except I'm not sure which armies they were exactly.  It was about what I expected:  lots of battles and special effects and new age stuff.

I've found a documentary series on Youtube that I've been hoping to find for a while:  the 1964 CBS production World War One, narrated by Robert Ryan. (I saw the greater part of the show on a PBS station some thirty years ago.) It's a pretty masterful treatment, with lots of old films and photos.

On Netflix I started looking at the fourth season of Good Times, after father John Amos left because Jimmie Walker's J.J. had come to dominate the show. (Mother Esther Rolle missed the fifth season for similar reasons.) Pretty cheesy, really.

No comments: