Tuesday, January 06, 2015

FINDING VIVIAN MAIER

The real cold weather returned yesterday.  Unfortunately, the previous day had been milder but it got cold really quick.  The big temperature swing, as I expected, gave me a big headache.  I was tempted to skip the memoir slam, which I almost never do, but managed to make it. (I was surprised that attendance wasn't significantly lower than usual!)

Last night I saw the documentary Finding Vivian Maier with a Movie Meetup group. (I might have skipped it if I hadn't RSVPed.) It's a fascinating story of a brilliant street photographer who worked as a nanny and whose work was only discovered after her death, by sheer accident.

Last night I dreamed about a non-existent movie with Lana Turner, whom I've never dreamed of before.  I also dreamed of visiting Las Vegas and not liking it.

Today I went out to the Victory Cafe to make a reservation for Sunday's ROLT Meetup, but it turned out that now they only take reservations online!  If I'd known that I could have been spared a freezing trip, yet it's always good to get out of the house.  I did visit the Beguiling nearby and bought a translated manga about Japan in the decade before it got into World War II.  Looks hard to put down. (Of course, with the manga format you always have to remember to look at panels and voice balloons from right to left, the opposite direction from the West.)

I've finished translating the story of the life of St. Philip of Neri, and started translating the Carl Sandburg poem "Yarns of the People."

No comments: