Sunday, May 24, 2015

History discussion group

Wednesday night I saw Thomas Vinterberg's Far From the Madding Crowd remake at the Yonge & Dundas, with Kenneth from the History Discussion Group and his blind friend John. The place was almost empty, so there was nobody sitting near us and we could whisper to John what was happening. (As I watched it, I kept wondering which parts you couldn't follow without seeing.) It was pretty good.

Thursday night the History Discussion Group Meetup met at my house. (I don't usually have Meetups there, and I'll find another place when the group's big enough.) We talked about the world in 1914:  I titled the event "The age of men." Two people came:  Leon, a Russian from Moldova, and Millicent, a Masai from the Great Rift Valley in Kenya.

Thursday I walked to Fiesta Gardens and bought seed potatoes and carrot seed.  Friday I planted the spuds in our back yard garden.  Then I gave them a watering, but the hose was full of leaks.  We'll clearly have to get a new one.

This afternoon I saw Marion Davies' silent comedy Patsy at the Revue.  She missed her calling in the sound era:  she should have been making screwball comedies!

I'm ready to start reading The Yearling for the Classic Book Club.  But I lost my library card and I'll have to bring a proof-of-residence paper and get a new one.

I'm also rereading Ken McGoogan's How the Scots Invented Canada in preparation for next month's history discussion group, which will be about Canadian history.

I've been watching the last season of Boardwalk Empire on DVD.  Patricia Arquette is great in it, but she's met the violent fate of Steve Buscemi's other witnesses.

No comments: