Monday, May 11, 2015

Iambs and dactyls

Thursday was going to be the History Discussion Group Meetup.  I hoped to have it at the Victory Cafe but they couldn't fit in my reservation.  So I moved it to the Ryerson Hub cafeteria area, where we used to have Games Meetups.  But the place turned out to be undergoing renovation!  Leon was the only other person I could find.  So I rescheduled the event for two weeks later, and chose our home because I couldn't think of any other place!

The Bloor is having a retrospect of documentaries by the Maysles Brothers.  Friday night I saw Gimme Shelter (about the disastrous Rolling Stones concert at Altamonte in 1969) for the third time, but the first time on the big screen.  Saturday I saw the deeply strange Grey Gardens for the second time.  They're showing Salesman on Thursday, but that's at the same time as Betty-Anne's latest art walk!

This afternoon was the latest ROLT Meetup.  This month the topic was poetry again, and I titled the event "Iambs and Dactyls." I read Rupert Brooke's sonnet "The Soldier," John Greenleaf Whittier's "Barbara Freitchie" (since it's the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War), Edgar Allen Poe's "The Bells," Walt Whitman's "Miracles" and Robert Frost's "The Code." Henry read a passage by Charles Bukowski about style, and I had to point out that Poe was someone with style!

In one of my Facebook groups I started a thread with "You know you're getting old when..." And I offered this post: "...when your dreams are in reruns." I'm in a group devoted to ocean liners and posted about travelling on the Arkadia on its last voyage in 1966.  If I can find the menu the parents saved from the Empress of Britain in 1957, I'll have to scan it and post it in the group!

No comments: