Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Twenty years ago

Last night I dreamed about Goodenough College.  Twenty years ago last weekend I flew to England to spend eight months at Goodenough College in London while researching my Ph.D. thesis.  It was the best eight months of my life!  It still feels recent to me.  I've never done anything else quite that exciting.

But one thing that has me excited now is Bernie Sanders' candidacy for the American presidency.  For a couple of months I've kept writing comments at The Huffington Post and Facebook saying "Run, Bernie, run!" and "You can do it, Bernie!" (After he announced, I wrote a post saying "I knew he could do it!") Don't be too sure he can't win the Democratic nomination and even the presidency.  People who dismiss his chances aren't just underestimating him, they're underestimating the American voters.

Sunday I went to a brunch with Paula's Fun Loving Friends Meetup.  We went to the Universal Grill at the corner of Shaw and Dupont, which is within walking distance of my house!  Afterward I went to see Giuseppe, but he didn't seem to be in.  At one of the houses along Shaw Street they were giving away their excess books, and I found an interesting book about someone biking through rural France and learning about French history.

Our choir is doing "Mambo Italiano" and a new arrangement of "Santa Lucia." And we're also doing that Russian song "Kalinka" again, which is one of my favourites!

I've been spending too much time on Facebook groups lately. (I've stopped posting Captain Snark pieces.) It looks like I'll have to quit at least some of them.  But they've been having some interesting discussions on subjects like Robert Mitchum.

I've finished rereading Our Marvellous Native Tongue, and now I'm rereading How the Scots Invented Canada.

No comments: