Saturday, May 02, 2015

Maytime

The warm spring weather has arrived, and I've started wearing my summer jacket.  I'll have to start preparing the garden pretty soon.  I think I'd like to plant a birch tree in the back yard since we've cut down the cherry and plum.

The Classic Book Club is meeting again in a couple of weeks, so I'll have to focus to finish Our Mutual Friend in time.  But two chapters a day will be enough, and I hope I can read faster.  I couldn't get the Victory Cafe for the History Discussion Group, so I'll use the Ryerson Student Hub instead. (I've gone there for Board Games Meetups.)

The other day one of the federal NDP candidates uploaded a poster promoting Israel with the line "67 years young." I posted "67 years of ethnic cleansing" and he accused me of "hate" and "trolling." He challenged me to provide links showing Israel's guilt on this charge and I provided three, but he ultimately deleted two. (He kept the one from Haaretz because it showed what a great democracy Israel is.) He ultimately closed the thread and said he'd delete any more of my comments, and I wrote a last post saying "Delete away, you Stalinist!"

Father found the misplaced Metropass at the post office with just a couple of days left in the month.  But it's just as well, since we'd run out of tokens.

Thursday night, on a whim, I went to the Nonfiction Book Club Meetup.  The book was Abundance, about anti-Malthusian theories of the future.  I hadn't read it and I don't think it would have convinced me.

At the memoir slam Monday, the Burkes from Newfoundland gave me a copy of Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology! (I'd mentioned the previous week that I wanted to find a copy.) I've encouraged them to think of a book they'd like, since we have such a big collection.

No comments: