Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Concert clips

I think I'll post some clips from famous concert movies (and similar shows).

Lesley Gore, "Hey Now" from The TAMI Show.  A number from a classic 1964 pop concert movie. (LG's hairdo made the singer look about forty!) I like that chorus accompaniment.

Dusty Springfield, "I Can't Hear You" from Ready, Steady, Go!  This clip is from a "The Sound of Motown" episode of the British series Ready, Steady, Go! so there's another great chorus accompaniment: Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, no less. (Pretty silly dancers.)

Dionne Warwick, "Message to Michael" from Hullabaloo. One of the songs Burt Bachrach and Hal David wrote for Dionne Warwick, a formidable team in the mid-'60s. (She's performing it on the American TV show Hullabaloo.)

Marvin Gaye, "Ain't That Peculiar" from Hullabaloo.  Why not have two Hullabaloo clips? (I meant to include Billy Preston stealing the Concert for Bangladesh with "That's the Way God Planned It," but it got taken off Youtube!) The show's dancers included Michael Bennett, who directed the Broadway blockbuster A Chorus Line, and Donna Mckechnie, who had a star-making role in it.

Janis Joplin, "Ball and Chain" from Monterey Pop.  A stunning number, from the classic concert movie directed by D.A. Pennebaker.  That's Mama Cass in the audience, clearly impressed. (Those are the two singers I'd most like to bring back from the dead...)

The Beatles, "Get Back" from Let It Be.  A number from the Fab Four's final "rooftop concert" in 1969.  Split screen was getting old by this time, but it's still a moment of musical history.

Ravi Shankar, "Evening Raga" from Woodstock.  Can't omit a Woodstock clip, can I? (Someone said that watching the movie is better than seeing it live--you don't get rained on!) And I can't very well omit the great sitarist either...

Emmylou Harris and The Band, "Evangeline" from The Last Waltz.  The Band went out with a bang in this 1978 concert movie directed by Martin Scorcese.  The key is the guest stars, ranging from Joni Mitchell to Neil Diamond.

The Talking Heads, "Burning Down the House" from Stop Making Sense.  My favourite single (I sing it at karaoke) by one of my favourite new age bands, from Jonathan Demme's great concert movie.  I like the bit where the guy makes a face into the camera!

Morris Day & The Time, "Jungle Love" and "The Bird" from Purple Rain.  I'm stretching a bit here, but they are performing on stage! (How to steal a movie from Prince...)

No comments: