Saturday, June 02, 2018

More comic strips

"I will say this much for the nobility: that, tyrannical, murderous, rapacious, and morally rotten as they were, they were deeply and enthusiastically religious"--A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Since subscribing to Go Comics, I've been viewing a lot of new comic strips online. Besides 9 Chickweed Lane and Pibgorn, they also have stuff likeCathy, which I enjoyed in the '80s, and Doonesbury.  

I've also been following some through Facebook groups. Maybe I've mentioned Steve Roper & Mike Nomad, and another is Annie.  The late Harold Gray's Little Orphan Annie was in reruns in the late '70s (they reprinted some brilliant '30s stories!), until the success of the 1977 Broadway musical prompted the syndicate to revive the strip with a shorter title at the end of 1979.

For the new artist they hired Leonard Starr, who was just finishing a prodigious 20-year run on Mary Perkins On Stage,  and he did this strip for another two decades.  They've been reprinting it on a Facebook group devoted to Starr, and it's a revelation. Back at the time I actually read much of the first story (involving Annie getting kidnapped by an oil sheikh and Daddy Warbucks going into tough-guy mode) in newspapers at the Mount Allison university library.  I recall an episode from some story where Annie and her dog Sandy were lost in the desert and ran out of water, but replenished their supply from the canteens of dead men!

At the campaign HQ yesterday I did some more bundling, and found an even quicker way.  I counted out 25 leaflets, then got another pile the same size, but this time I made them into one pile and got new piles the same size as that one!  I must have started with a box of 2000 leaflets, but in the end produced 39 bundles and a bit extra. (No doubt I'd made bundles of 51!) In the evening I assembled some lawn signs.

You can find anything on Youtube!  When I was little we had this record A Child's Introduction to the Classics, with one cut introducing us to Humperdinck's Hansel & Gretel.  It really scared me back then--Moira remembers it too!  Well, I've found it on Youtube. (I also found their introduction to Rossini's Barber of Seville, where I first heard the word "suspicious"!)

Last night I had a nightmare where I was trying to drive this big RV on the street. (I don't know how to drive at all, of course.) I somehow caused the vehicle to take off into traffic with nobody at the wheel, and had to run after it!

No comments: