Tuesday, September 18, 2018

[Expletive Deleted]

Last Monday I found the book Anime Impact at the library with people reviewing the major Japanese cartoons, with a lot of personal experiences. Someone wrote, I josh you not: "Dragon Ball Z saved my life." (He was tempted to kill himself as a teenager, but the show gave him courage to carry on!) Brother John likes the pirate anime One Piece, so I'll have to try that one sometime.

Wednesday night I went to my first Music Meetup in a while. (It had been conflicting with my History Meetup screenings.) We sang "Hey Jude."

Thursday evening the opera chorus had its first session, at their new rehearsal location of St. Matthew's United Church, just a few blocks east of my home! (Very convenient.) Our two operas this year will be Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro and Verdi's La Traviata, which we haven't done for over a decade. Someone brought a cake, which was so good I ate three pieces.

Saturday afternoon I watched Jonathan Demme's Silence of the Lambs (for the second time) with Dawna.  I left before the last part where it got really scary!

Sunday was Read Out Loud Meetup, and since it was September the topic was banned and challenged books. (The event title was [Expletive Deleted]!) Noel was the only other person who showed up, but we had interesting conversation.  I read the opening pages of Theodore Dreiser's Sister Carrie; the closing pages of Richard Wright's Native Son; and the chapter of Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer where he and Huck witness a murder among bodysnatchers.

Today after the memoir group I went to the Indigo bookstore in the Manulife Centre and used half the gift coupons Miriam gave me to buy a Chromecast connection so we can stream movies online and watch them on our big TV set! (The place is pretty hectic since the upper floor is being renovated...)

No comments: