Sunday, September 23, 2018

THE BRIDGE

We've started watching The Bridge, a Scandinavian TV series where a woman's corpse turns up on the bridge between Sweden and Denmark and a team of Swedish and Danish detectives have to work together.  Actually, it's two women:  the body's top half is a Swedish politician the bottom half is a Danish sex worker, which is just the beginning of how complicated it is! (They're going to make a British version.)

It turned out I didn't need to get my eyesight checked after all.  The problem was that the sun's glare gave me headaches when I went outdoors on a clear day, and I solved it by adding shades to my glasses.

Wednesday night we screened Vanessa Redgrave's Mary, Queen of Scots for the History Meetup.  Nine people came, probably a record!

Thursday night at opera rehearsal we started with the Slaves' Chorus from Verdi's Nabucco.  I'd sung that piece a lot and knew my notes well, except I sometimes forgot I'm now singing tenor instead of baritone!  We also got a start on the Drinking Song from La Traviata.

Friday afternoon I saw some more videos with Dawna.  We looked at an I Dream of Jeannie episode where a space chimp gets turned into a human played by Larry Storch (I remember seeing that in my childhood!); and the pilot episode of The Odd Couple.  But I had a headache and left early.

I've got to the second season of Sailor Moon with subtitles. The story arc right now involves Alan and Ann, who seem like normal schoolkids but are actually aliens stealing human energy to feed their Doom Tree!  This arc includes my personal favourite episode, where they're putting on a play of Snow White, but the show gets interrupted by a clown monster and it turns into a Power Rangers show!  I like the closing credits' song. (See above.)

I've finally quit that game Empire.  Friday I captured a resource village in the winter realm and the owner's alliance blitzed me until almost all the buildings in both of my cities seemed to be on fire! (You have to put the fires out one at a time, and that can take over an hour for some.) My own alliance demoted me, as if I'd been aware of my status.  Why did I take such a risk? Because I'd been running out of doable quests to carry out.

Got my hair cut.

No comments: