Sunday, February 23, 2014

COSI FAN TUTTE

Friday night I saw the Toronto City Opera production of Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte.  My favorite performer was Carrie Parks, the soprano playing Fiordiligi. (At least I think that was Carrie:  I'm not sure that it wasn't Tammy Short.) Gerald Hannon's surtitle translations always throw in a couple of contemporary jokes:  doctor Despina says "I'll need their health cards"!

Cosi Fan Tutte has a lot of great music, though those two sisters are pretty silly.  One character I like is Despina the maid:  Cecilia Bartoli was a scream in that role in a Met production I saw on PBS fifteen or twenty years ago.

I baked some gingerbread and gave two-thirds of it to the opera people to sell in the intermission.  David Roche, who's handling the front of the house this year, says baked goods like mine always sell, which is nice to hear.  I still haven't got my plastic container back.

Last night we performed Carmen again.  At this performance I got to help move the Virgin Mary statue after all.  Our next performance won't be till Friday.

No comments: