Wednesday, February 05, 2014

The costumes have arrived!

At Monday's choir we learned John Cutter's arrangement of the hymn "For the Beauty of the Earth," and I think I prefer it to the original! (We'll soon be learning "You Raise Me Up" and Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World.") I told Beatrice I was sorry I couldn't do Cosi Fan Tutte as well as Carmen, and she was understanding.

This morning I went to the Bickford Center and helped Beatrice and a few others hang up the opera costumes from Malabar. (I got up earlier than usual.) I also tried on my own costume, but the pants turned out to have a 29-inch waist, and I'm at least 32!  Sam, you made the pants too tight...

As a result, when we rehearsed Carmen that evening I had to wear my street clothes when almost everyone else was in costume. (There was one woman who was also in my situation.) BTW, it turned out that they didn't need me to help carry in the madonna statue:  three guys can do it instead of four.

This afternoon Moira and I walked all the way to Loblaw's and bought a white chocolate mousse cake for my birthday tomorrow.  Later I went to the bank and there was no queue at all!

I've finished the comedy issue of Lapham's Quarterly.  My next reading material will be James Fenimore Cooper's The Pioneers, as part of my quest to read every novel turned into a Classics Illustrated comic book.

No comments: