Monday, February 03, 2014

Digital Film Festival

"You certainly have a way of cutting through the felgercarp"--Battlestar Galactica

They're having the Great Digital Film Festival at the Scotiabank cinema.  The list includes two James Bond movies, but they're both on Tuesday night and conflict with opera rehearsal. (What a shame, I've never seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which is said to be one of the series' best-directed entries.) They've shown a whole slew of superhero movies which don't interest me.  They're also showing the campy Dino de Laurentiis production of Flash Gordon. (I recall liking the special-effects clouds in the sky.) I'll see if I can make Brazil or Lock, Stock and Smoking Barrels.

Friday night I saw Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (for the third time, but the first time in a cinema). It could have been one more broad 1980s teenage comedy but it turned out pretty amusing:  Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter have a nice chemistry.

This afternoon I saw the movie of the Battlestar Galactica pilot. (You can tell where the commercial breaks were.) I watched the show sometimes when I was a teenager:  it was such a goofy, shameless Star Wars imitation that I saw in it a certain ersatz cool!  Cliches by the hogshead.

This evening I saw Logan's Run (for the second time, but the first time in a cinema). Kinda fun sci-fi, in a very dated way:  my favorite scene is the one with the Box robot in the freezer.  Peter Ustinov has a nice turn as the aged man, and Jenny Agutter was a cutie!

No comments: