Friday, July 11, 2014

A new writing group

It's been a lazy week for me.  I've had these persistent headaches again, so I've been napping a lot in the afternoon and early evening. (And this is my first blog entry in almost a week, of course.) Father's been watching the World Cup soccer games, so we often don't eat till 18:00.

Sunday was my first Classic Book Club Meetup event, at the Victory Cafe as usual, where we talked about The Last of the Mohicans.  John Snow and I were the only ones who showed up, but I was expecting a slow start, and he's as enthusiastic as I am.  He suggested George Eliot's Silas Marner for our next book.

Ten people came to the memoir slam Monday, including three new people.  I'll remember Marion's name because it's the same name my mother had, and I'll remember Flora's name because she's Filipina and pronounced it "Frora." I don't know if I'll remember Millie's name...

Today I went to a new writing group.  It was that group that Gary was telling me about that meets at the Sanctuary just south of the Bloor-Yonge station, and this time I succeeded in making contact.  There were five people, of whom two were fellow Aspies.  Our subjects were "Hamster damn" and "Pet peeves." I guess I'll have to post my pieces in the memoir slam blog.

Afterward I picked up some poetry books for Sunday's ROLT.  I found books by Robert Service and Walt Whitman at the Deer Park library, but it took a long detour to Maria Shchuka Library to find a big volume of WH Auden poems, which turned out not to have "Funeral Blues"! (I hope I can use Moira's printer to get it from online.)

No comments: