Tuesday, July 22, 2014

SILAS MARNER

A sarcastic Patricia Arquette, asked why she bought an expensive house that she now has to sell: "Because I love making poor life choices!"--Boyhood

I'm now reading George Eliot's Silas Marner for the Classic Book Club. (I read it before when I was 18, and before that I read the Classics Illustrated comic book.) It may seem a simple story at first glance, but I now see that it's very sophisticated in its historical and psychological aspects.  I'm the sort of reader who seeks existentialism everywhere, and there's something existential about the hero's shifting focus from religion to money to parenthood.

Yesterday I saw Richard Linklater's Boyhood with the Sunday Afternoon Movie Meetup, at the Varsity.  It's everything they say! (Why can't I use the occasional cliche?) A very original movie, though it got rather conventional toward the end when he discovered girls.  It's the sort of film that interested Mark Cousins in his cinema history, whose last episode we were lucky enough to finish on Netflix.

Last Thursday I met a girl called Sarah at the Storytellers Meetup and she sent me a message saying it was nice to meet me and asking how I was doing.  I answered, "I'm waiting for our next event together =)" Now I'm worrying maybe that reply was too forward.  Sarah, if you're reading this, please bear with my awkwardness with girls. (I'm awkward with boys too.)



No comments: