Saturday, July 19, 2014

Storytellers

Last night I went to a new Meetup:  a storytelling group that met at a place called Baka's near the Runnymede station.  They had a talking stone-like cane for the speaker to hold.

Lisa, the organizer, told us a few stories, including one about waitressing at the Banff Springs Hotel.  She got to wear a Victorian dress for one banquet, but suffered food poisoning. (The best food went to the first-class restaurant on the top floor, what was left over went to the second-class buffet, and the staff diner was the end of the line!) There were also stories of a guy skiing in Switzerland who ended up in Italy; a girl who prized a National Geographic photo of a Nefertiti bust then found the real thing in a Berlin museum; and a guy who insisted on giving blood to help his mother through surgery.

I told the "esprit de l'escalier" story, actually three mini-stories, that I'd written for the memoir slam.  I made a pretty good impression:  there was lots of laughter.  I also told a couple of jokes.  And I promised to give a link to the memoir slam group.

On Tuesday night I went to the second Transit Enthusiasts Meetup. This time it was at Sloppy Joe's near Lakeshore & Long Branch.  That was quite a TTC journey.  (Maybe that's why they chose the place.) Unfortunately, the starting time was 6:00, so I was inevitably half an hour late, and I suggested a later time if they're going to half such out of the way locations.  And the place was really loud, so I had a hard time participating in the discussion.  I suggested Dutch Dreams or Just Desserts for the next location.

Last night I dreamed about the movie The Last of Sheila.  I want to see it again!

No comments: