Sunday, July 20, 2014

Kirk Pulaski

Today's acting class had an unusual challenge:  for the second-last session before the August break, we had to take the casting suggestions from each of our "hot seat" sessions, come up with a character, and play him or her all through class.  Four of us did it, and it was pretty fun.

I played Kirk Pulaski, an anarchist from 1914 visiting 2014 via time machine. (I wore a tie and my green cardigan to look the part, and stood up when a lady entered the room.) He was from Trail, B.C., with a Polish-born father and Scottish-born mother.  He couldn't afford university but became very well-read, especially in a period of a few years when he worked as a lighthouse keeper.  He'd also been a schoolteacher and newspaper reporter but was too outspoken to keep such jobs.  He'd worked a wide range of jobs and even been a hobo.  The last thing he said to the group was "Try to forgive our mistakes." Like the other characters, he spoke of me in the third person.  Nancy asked if he could return next week.

Ken was a guitar man from Kentucky, Tristan was a drug dealer, and Sharon was a fairy called Ella! (When she was coming there on a GO bus, she got harassed by some ignorant auto race fans, but she stayed in character.) All of them impressed me.  Nancy said this class gave her the best memories so far.

This weekend is the Salsa on St. Clair Festival nearby, which got a pretty big crowd despite the drizzly weather. (Too bad I couldn't wear my rain jacket instead of the cardigan.) The noise was a little much, as usual, and I was glad to have somewhere to go to.

Today we had the season's first corn on the cob! (I burnt my mouth a bit.)

No comments: