Saturday, July 05, 2014

CENERENTOLA

Today I saw the last of the Met opera screenings at the Yonge & Eglinton:  Rossini's Cinderella opera La Cenerentola.  It's funny:  I've seen Puccini's La Boheme enough, but I can always see this one an extra time!  Giuseppe thinks it's even better than Rossini's The Barber of Seville, and I won't disagree.  This was a snappy production with lots of laughs.  Alidoro (the fairy godfather) looked like the horror writer HP Lovecraft.  It got me thinking about that Cinderella poem I'm still going to write someday.

It's been less than two weeks since the season finale, but I'm already missing the choir!  I hope there's lots of interesting new music in the fall.  At least I still have the memoir group.

I've started reading the youth issue of Lapham's Quarterly.  There's an interesting review of Gustave Flaubert's novel Sentimental Education.  There's another book I should read someday!

I've joined a new Meetup group where people come together to tell a story.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I can think of any long stories from my past that a group of people would find entertaining. (Shorter stories are easier.)

No comments: