Wednesday, July 19, 2017

HIGH SIERRA

"Sometimes life takes hold of one, carries the body along, accomplishes one's history, and yet is not real, but leaves oneself as it were slurred over"--Sons and Lovers

I recently found my credit card blocked.  It turned out that my paying off the whole bill in two big instalments had made them suspicious!  I got it straightened out Sunday.

Last night was John Snow's 60th birthday, and I joined him and two other people at the Hot House. (I had salmon.) It's hard to make conversation with John, of course, because he's the most faithful reader of this blog and it's hard to think of stuff I haven't already written about here!

I finished The China Mirage yesterday and started D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers for the Classic Book Club.  I've already read almost forty pages!  It didn't surprise me to learn that the parents in the novel are based on Lawrence's actual parents--I got the feeling that he knew these two people very well!

Had lunch with Pam at the Grenadier Restaurant and walked through High Park a bit.

In the evening I saw Raoul Walsh's High Sierra (for the third time) with the Classic Movie Meetup at Eton House. Humphrey Bogart has a star-making triumph as a Dillinger-like bank robber, though the subplot with Anne Sheridan's clubfoot is pretty shameless!

No comments: