Monday, July 17, 2017

Within you and without you

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Classic TV Meetup and we watched DVDs of some TV shows from the 1960s.  The first was The Man From Uncle, in which a Japanese woman accidentally switched her film with the bad guys' film showing their control of volcanoes!  The second was Mission:  Impossible, in which they thwarted an international heroin dealer.  

The third was the first episode of The Time Tunnel, in which our heroes found themselves on the Titanic! (Dawna pointed out that they never seemed to end up in safe places.) Masterpiece Theatre legend Susan Hampshire was a guest star, and I was hoping they'd end up taking her back to the '60s!

Last night I finally got to the Bay at Yorkdale Mall and bought another pair of pajamas. (The pair I got last fall is already "condemned"!)

This afternoon was the latest Reading Out Loud Meetup.  The event had religion as its topic, and I titled it "Within You and Without You." I read the Robert Burns poem "Address to the Unco Guid, or the Rigidly Righteous," the Tolstoy story "The Three Hermits," some Spoon River Anthology poems and the part of Angela's Ashes where Frank McCourt talks about his first communion.

We've been meeting in a lounge in the Robarts Library.  I was just starting the Burns poem when someone complained, so we moved out to the benches near the sidewalk. (Nobody's complained before--it isn't like we were in the reading room!) This worked out pretty well, despite a little sprinkle.  The only thing that bothered me is that two people in our group lost interest then.  I'll see if the Whole Foods common area would work better.

No comments: