Thursday, July 06, 2017

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

Theatre investor: "I've been in show business for twenty years, and I've never said I was wrong! [pointing to his partner] That's his department"--Yankee Doodle Dandy

"You're a piece of shit, Raeburn!" "It isn't my fault that your mother likes me better than you"--Bloodline


Yesterday I finished The Road to Wigan Pier and borrowed The China Mirage from the Deer Park library.  It's a fascinating book about the USA's naive China policy which led to "Who lost China" disillusionment after 1949.  I didn't know that Franklin Delano Roosevelt's wealth came from his maternal grandfather (a Delano), who reaped a fortune from the China trade--mostly in opium.

Last night I saw Michael Curtiz' Yankee Doodle Dandy for about the fourth time, at Eton House with the Movie Meetup group. That's the one with James Cagney as Broadway performer-composer George M. Cohan. (I've liked the title song since we had it on a 45 RPM record in my childhood.) Only the spanking scene still makes me uncomfortable.

Today I met Midwife and she gave me several ideas for new articles. (The night before I'd written an article about my parents when they lived in England in the mid-'50s while Father was earning his doctorate.)
We had lunch at the Light Cafe, where I had lobster rolls.  She wants me to raise my output to two articles a week, but I now have half a dozen ideas to develop!

No comments: