Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Salsa weekend

On hard cash: "One dollar of this is worth ten dollars of talk!"--The Maltese Falcon

Last weekend was the Salsa on St. Clair festival near our house. (It was pretty noisy.)

Saturday night I went to the Poetry Meetup in Budapest Park. (It was a bit noisy:  maybe High Park would have worked better.) I read stanzas 19 to 41 of the first canto of my translation of Camoes' As Lusiadas. (Before I can read much more, I'll have to do some more translating!) I also read that translation of Pessoa's first Alberto Caeiro poem, and "Th' Brae," my Scots version of "The Hill," the first poem in Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology.

Sunday afternoon was the Classic Book Club, where we discussed Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier.

On Sunday evening I saw John Huston's The Maltese Falcon (for the umpteenth time) at an outdoor showing in Christie Pits with Miriam and Anne of the Vintage Clothes Meetup.  It has great dialogue, including a lot of suggestive lines. ("How did you and the widow make out?") Sam Spade actually refers to a cop's partner as his "boyfriend"!

It rained a bit during the screening.  Afterward we had hot soup at a late-night Korean diner. (Very spicy!) Then we walked all the way to the Spadina subway station.  I was rather late getting home, like back when I went a long distance to karaoke.

Today I had a pretty big headache.  I had to skip the Toronto Film Society's film noir double bill at the Carleton. (One of them was Robert Mitchum in Where Danger Lives!)

No comments: