Monday, July 03, 2017

THE CRUCIBLE

"In all novels about the East, the scenery is the real subject-matter"--The Road to Wigan Pier

Friday the bank gave me a number to phone, and I straightened things out so my ATM access card will work now.

Yesterday afternoon was Canada Day, and I went out to an open house at an Islamic centre near Yonge & Wellesley, where I forgot to take off my shoes at the entrance. (D'oh!) Someone gave me a long sales pitch.

This evening I went to the cinemacast at the Yonge & Dundas of a 2013 Old Vic production of Arthur Miller's Salem witch trials play The Crucible, whose movie I screened for the history group just a few months ago.  

Starring Richard Armitage, it was three and a half hours of existential dynamite!  Superbly directed, it brought back the dread I felt seeing the first act for the first time over thirty years ago. They'll be screening Angels in America on the 20th and 27th, and repeating Verdi's Nabucco in August.

I just read a Huffington Post article about measuring emotional intelligence, and I doubt that I'd score well on it.  I can't emotionally distance myself from past mistakes, and I do bear grudges from long ago.  In the comments section someone wrote, "Stein supporters and Trump supporters are cut from the same emotional cloth," and I questioned the emotional intelligence of that poster. (This whole "If you aren't with us, you're against us" attitude, which the court in The Crucible exhibited...) Can the people who still speak of "Bernie Bros" be considered emotionally intelligent themselves?

No comments: