Wednesday, December 13, 2017

END OF THE AFFAIR

"'When you are miserable, you envy other people's happiness'...  And there--in the phrase--the bitterness leaks again out of my pen.  What a dull lifeless quality this bitterness is.  If I could I would write with love, but if I could write with love, I would be another man:  I would never have lost love"--End of the Affair

Sunday afternoon the Classic Book Club discussed A Little Princess.  We liked the book, but couldn't think of much to say about it, and dispersed rather early. (I hope John S. returns to the group!  He'd surely have a lot to say.)

I finished the book about Russia and started reading Graham Greene's The End of the Affair, for the next Classic Book Club event.

Yesterday was Tuesday, so I went to Ali Baba's near Ossington station to get the Tuesday special of falafel wraps.  It's turning into a weekly ritual!

We've started watching the second season of The Crown.  It looks like Her Majesty will be using her dirty look a lot this season.  One of the background events is the Suez Crisis. (Orwell said that Neville Chamberlain wasn't a monster or a traitor, but a stupid old man doing what he thought was right at Munich; you could say the same about Anthony Eden!) I can't help feeling that Prince Philip was a jerk, but that revelation will surprise few people...

The other day I left my library card at the library again! (It's those self-serve checkouts...) But I got it back the next day.

No comments: